The 1997 911 GT1 race car is a classic R/C model in the Tamiya catalog of assembly kits. Originally released as the Le Mans race car replica, this kit recreates the “Street Legal” car that was released for homologation purposes. This replica returns on the TA03R-S chassis, which is a short wheelbase variant of Tamiya's highly successful and fun TA-03 4WD touring car. The actual car debuted in 1996, and was a “street” car with an extremely strong racing heritage – powered by a 3.1-liter inline-six rear-mid engine generating nearly 600hp, it was said to reach speeds of up to 330km/h. The racecar took second and third in Le Mans in 1996, and went one better with a 1-2 finish in 1998.
- 1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit. Length: 444mm, width: 194mm, height: 120mm. Wheelbase: 237mm.
- Lightweight and durable polycarbonate.
- Separately molded plastic parts are included to recreate side mirrors and rear wing.
- Includes detail marking stickers, and window masking stickers for use during the painting process.
- The TA03R-S is a special version of the TA03 with the motor in a rear midship position like the engine on the actual car, and a short wheelbase. Different front and rear wheel offsets give the model that quintessentially Porsche wide rear tread.
- Single belt-driven 4WD makes for smooth, efficient power via differential gears in sealed gearboxes.
- Features oil dampers front and rear, with front CVA Super Mini dampers enabling a low stance.
- Includes 540-motor.
- Required Items on top of basic kit: 2-Channel radio with receiver, steering servo, ESC, 7.2volt battery pack with compatible charger, and Tamiya PS paint.
Bearing Upgrade: These make the car run more smoothly and are easily installed during assembly. If there is no option for these shown, then the kit already includes the bearing upgrade as standard. These are entirely optional.
Radio System: There is a choice of a TWIN STICK (Traditional) radio or a Steering Wheel (Modern) radio. Both radios operate on 2.4Ghz and use the new Crystal-Free technology, so you can run multiple cars at the same time without any interference. The steering wheel radio is included in the price, a traditional twin stick radio just a few pounds more.
ESC: This is the connection between the radio system and the motor. You have two choices - the standard Tamiya unit (TBLE02S) or the Mtroniks Auto Sport Tuned 20 ESC. The Mtroniks unit is waterproof and allows slightly more powerful motors. The Tamiya unit allows upgrade to Tamiya's own "brushless" motors later but isn't waterproof. Tamiya's unit goes faster in reverse. Both units feature electronic brakes. The Tamiya ESC is included in the price, the waterproof one is just a few pounds more.
Battery: The higher the number, the longer the run time. The 1800 battery is included in the price.
Charger: You can choose to upgrade the charger - the mini peak (auto cut off) charger will take 2 to 3 hours depending on the battery, the 3 amp charger between 40 minutes and 90 minutes, and the 2 amp charger somewhere in-between. The overnight charger is included in the price.
If you would like more options, would like to choose a package without one of the above components, or wish to purchase the car kit on it's own, please search our site for the CUSTOM option of this kit - easily found by searching for the kit name or number followed by CUSTOM.