Released in July 1986, on the 10th anniversary of Tamiya s first RC,
the Bigwig was a landmark in the development of Tamiya RC racing cars
and remains highly prized as a collectors car for its unique design.
This was the first Tamiya car with a body penned by an outside designer:
Japanese full size race car designer and team owner Takuya Yura. This
re-release version is based closely upon the original, with some tweaks
to bring it up to date. This unique car featured a rack and pinion
steering system and distinctive Moon Dish wheels. The body styling was
innovative, and as all Tamiya kits were, easy to build and good value
- This is a 1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit. Length: 390mm, width: 234mm, height: 163mm.
- Aerodynamic body is lightweight and durable polycarbonate. Engine and exhausts are depicted by chassis parts.
- Utilizes a sturdy ABS resin bathtub-type chassis.
- Shaft-driven 4WD drivetrain for excellent stability off-road, with full ball bearings ensuring minimal power loss.
- 4-wheel double wishbone suspension with CVA oil dampers lets the car tackle bumpy surfaces.
- Rack and pinion steering (unique to this Tamiya model) gives
excellent driving feel. Boots cover the steering tie-rods, and anti-wear
grease is included in the kit to seal the mechanism from dirt and
- Aerodish 1-piece wheels are combined with oval block pattern tires for superior grip.
- Stickers have been redesigned while keeping to the overall theme of the original.
- Includes a GT-Tuned motor (25T) with sticker unique to this model.
- ESCs 22mm and lower in height can be fitted in the kit standard position.
These make the car run more smoothly and are easily installed during
assembly. If there is no option for these shown, then the kit already
includes the bearing upgrade as standard. These are entirely optional.
There is a choice of a TWIN STICK (Traditional) radio or a Steering
Wheel (Modern) radio. Both radios operate on 2.4Ghz and use the new
Crystal-Free technology, so you can run multiple cars at the same time
without any interference. The steering wheel radio is included in the price, a traditional twin stick radio just a few pounds more.
This is the connection between the radio system and the motor. You
have two choices - the standard Tamiya unit (TBLE02S) or the Mtroniks
Auto Sport Tuned 20 ESC. The Mtroniks unit is waterproof and allows
slightly more powerful motors. The Tamiya unit allows upgrade to
Tamiya's own "brushless" motors later but isn't waterproof. Tamiya's
unit goes faster in reverse. Both units feature electronic brakes. The Tamiya ESC is included in the price, the waterproof one is just a few pounds more.
Battery: The higher the number, the longer the run time. The 1800 battery is included in the price.
You can choose to upgrade the charger - the mini peak (auto cut off) charger will take 2
to 3 hours depending on the battery, the 3 amp charger between 40
minutes and 90 minutes, and the 2 amp charger somewhere in-between. The overnight charger is included in the price.
you would like more options, would like to choose a package without one
of the above components, or wish to purchase the car kit on it's own,
please search our site for the CUSTOM option of this kit - easily found
by searching for the kit name or number followed by CUSTOM.