The LMS 2P class locomotive, designed by Sir Henry Fowler for light
passenger work, had its origins in the Midland Railway s 4-4-0 483
Class, designed by Samuel Johnson and modified by Richard Deeley.
Introduced in 1928, post-Grouping, the 2P s dimensions were modified
from the 483 class and the boiler mountings reduced.
Between 1928 and 1932, 138 2P locomotives were produced at either
Crewe or Derby Locomotive Works. The locomotive layout was a basic and
well proven two inside frame cylinder design, characteristic of the
Midland Railway s design philosophy.
In addition to being employed by the LMS, three of the locomotives,
numbers 44-46, were allocated from the new to the Somerset and Dorset
Joint Railway (S&DJR), however once the LMS assumed responsibility
for motive power on that line in 1930, they were absorbed into the LMS
fleet as numbers 633-635.