The Class D16/3 locomotives were a derivative of a locomotive
reputedly designed by James Holden, CME of the GER but commonly believed
to be the work of his Chief Draughtsman at the Stratford Works,
Frederick V. Russell. The original locomotive was numbered 1900 after
the year that it was built and named Claud Hamilton after the then
Lord Claud Hamilton (1843 1925), the chairman of the Great Eastern
Railway. The Claud Hamilton was exhibited at the 1900 Paris
Exhibition and was awarded a gold medal.
The 4-4-0 wheel configured locomotive was quickly followed by an
order for an additional forty locomotives which were built between the
years of 1900 and 1903 and were classified by the GER as S46 (later to
be classified as LNER D14s) but very quickly became known as Clauds .
Soon after these S46, further batches were produced between the years of
1904 1911 and were fitted with Belpaire boilers and classified as D56
(later to become D15s). The final batch of ten engines, this time
classified by the GER as H88, later to become LNER D16s, were built in
1923 and fitted with 5 1 diameter superheated Belpaire boilers and
were aptly named Super Clauds .
In total 121 of these variants on the original locomotive were built
with some 117 being transferred to British Railways in 1948. Prior to
this there was a tremendous amount of rebuilding visited on the Class.
The D15 locomotives were the residue of the original D15s, plus the
earlier D14 engines, which had been rebuilt with Belpaire boilers. Many
of these locomotives were later rebuilt as D16/2s and D16/3s. Any
remaining locomotives in this group were converted to D15/2s and but
simply known as D15s.