These Locomotives were produced for the 1955 modernisation plan and were used for various jobs around the southern region including parcel and freight trains. As they could reach speeds of up to 80mph they were also used on quite a few passenger services.
The class 73 was designed so that it could run on the southern region’s 650/750v DC third rail or using its own on-board diesel engine which meant it could operate on non-electrified routes. A total number of 49 Class 73’s were built between 1962 and 1967 and most of them can still be seen running up and down the southern region, a few were painted in Network Rail Yellow and used for track testing and maintenance but most of them were preserved on railways such as the Dean Forest Railway.
Loco is analogue DC with a standard 6 pin decoder socket should you wish to convert to DCC operation.
- Detailed body with etched grills and separately fitted hand rails
- Darkened wheels and pin point bearings
- 5 Pole motor for smoother operation
- All wheel drive
- All Wheel pick up
- Directional lighting
- NEM couplings
- Includes both standard and knuckle couplings
- Includes spares bag with additional detailing parts